Blessed Leaf Bollo

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Our first outing as a Family - the CQ Zoo

We ventured out in the heat and humidity for a half day tour - it was hot! Luckily the zoo has quite a bit of shade in many areas. Walking up a simple set of stairs (maybe just a dozen or so steps) leaves us drenched in perspiration.

The CQ area is well-known for the panda bears - the climate, humidity and vegetation simulates their normal environment. We saw this one feasting on bamboo - each eats about 20 kg a day. They have evolved in time from carnivores to herbivores, hence the quantity of bamboo to equate to a filling diet!



While strolling around the zoo, we attacted a bit of attention from the curious public - a combination of the numerous babies and (mostly) Caucasian parents. We notice that may of the younger children are boys, such as these 2 posing with Marty. When I asked if they could "pose", I actually just meant to stand but we got this more entertaining "pose".



This may sound a bit disgusting to some of you, but while at the zoo, Katie had a very big bowel movement (BM) - her second since we received her. We are the envy of many of the adoptive families as they wait anxiously for their babies to have their first BM, a sign that their children are starting to adjust to the recent changes in their very young lives. At the end of today, Katie had BM#3 - we will not to gloat about this event! Don't worry, 3 of the families I spoke with who were anxiously waiting earlier today have reported success in getting BM#1.



Some of you may be wondering how we have time to blog so much. Well, after being woken up 4 to 6 times during the night by Katie, it is sometimes easier just to stay awake. When this happens to me, I often will update the blog. This is also an excellent way for us to update you on our journey. I am going to bed now, but before I do, here are a couple of more photos to entertain you.



Katie listens attentively as Marty explains to her some basics of construction - note the construction crane in the background.




Naptime - like Father, like daughter.

1 Comments:

  • Nice pose - I'm referring to Katie's. Notice the foot resting on the stroller bar.

    9 months is a little to young for engineering lessons, don't you think, Marty ?

    OD - do you mind if I tell Vicki about the blog? I think she'll be thrilled! And I'll remind Maria to check in and leave a comment, too. Does Joyce know?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home